Sunday, December 27, 2009

America's Best Lost Recipes - The Editors of Cook's Country Magazine

Originally posted Nov. 7, 2008

I LOVE this book! I found many old recipes that I remember from my childhood. I was a little surprised that "Mock Duck" wasn't one that was submitted, we ate that a lot when we were young. A lot of the recipes have withstood time, such as Wacky Cake, which I think still shows up here and there. Having been subjected to such things as "Tripe & Onions" during the hard times (don't worry, this is one lost recipe that is not included), I'm not surprised that most of the recipes are sweet. Also, a lot of wartime recipes got "Lost" once sugar was once more available, and many of these recipes, though sweet, did not use a lot of sugar.

I found the Notes very helpful & consistently beneficial, and also loved the stories. Unfortunately, I have not made any of these recipes yet (not recently at any rate, but having made them in the past and comparing the recipes I have no doubt whatsoever that they will be excellent and turn out as expected). Since I reviewed an advance copy, I assume in the final printing those gorgeous photos will be in colour! And who would not be interested in a recipe called "Naked Ladies with their Legs Crossed"!

I am so thankful that there are conversion charts! As an older Canadian, I speak Fahrenheit, quarts, tablespoons and pounds much better than what I call "metricese"! And of course almost all my recipes are older than our metric.

Besides Wacky Cake, I remember having eaten: Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, Red Velvet Cake (earlier recipe) and Hot Milk Cake. These were usually our birthday cakes. However, there are many more recipes that I have known about but never had.

Anxious to try: 7-Up Cake, Monkey Bread, Pioneer Bread, Just Chicken Pie, Glazed Pork with Caramelized Pears and Sweet Potatoes, ... Hmmm, guess I'll have to try most of them! Maybe not the Mile High Bologna Pie (but may substitute the meat! Maybe moose sausage? Keep it heritage...)

No comments: